This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Wednesday 19 February, 2020
Advertisement

Tourists who were attacked in Swords 'uplifted by support' of Irish people

One man has arranged for the tourists to be fast-tracked when they fly home and for them to gain entry to the VIP lounge.

Swords Castle
Swords Castle
Image: Google Street View

THE BROTHER OF an American tourist who was viciously attacked in a mugging by a group of youths in Swords, Dublin, has said his spirit was lifted by the kindness of Irish people who heard the story.

The man, his girlfriend and her grandmother were walking in the park near Swords Castle on Sunday evening when they were approached by a group of youths who attacked them and stole their camera bag.

Richard*, the brother of the man who was attacked described the violent assault to TheJournal.ie:

When he was on the ground being kicked by the five attackers, she [his girlfriend] pulled one of them away from him. She got punched in the stomach, ribs and thrown to the ground. After he stood up one pulled a knife and he gave up the purse. Thankfully he wasn’t stabbed.

The youths broke the man’s shoulder in the assault. His girlfriend’s grandmother, who is in her 60s, was with them at the time but was unharmed.

Richard said his brother is currently on strong painkillers, “which means no Guinness at the pub” during his holiday.

Kindness

There was huge support for the tourists in the comments section on our own story about the robbery earlier this week and we even received emails from people offering to drive the group around or take them out for a nice meal.

Richard said the tourists read what people wrote and were “uplifted by their support and intolerance for what those thugs did”.

One particularly kind reader who works at Dublin Airport managed to get Dublin Airport Authority to arrange for the tourists to be fast-tracked when they fly home on Monday and when they are there they will have access to its lounge.

He has also collected around €145 in online donations and contributions from family and friends to help cover the medical costs the group incurred in Ireland. He will be handing over the money to them at the airport on Monday ahead of their flight.

“He told me after the hospital, a restaurant out front somehow knew what happened and invited them for dinner,” Richard said. “The other night one of the B&Bs wouldn’t accept their money even after they insisted.”

‘We’re wishing the best’

The man’s brother said they are in good spirits despite the attack and have been trying to “enjoy what they can and have been experiencing the Irish hospitality”.

“His girlfriend’s grandmother wasn’t attacked and he says she’s been the energy and positivity of the group this week,” he told TheJournal.ie.

So far they have been to the Cliffs of Moher, Killarney, the Ring of Kerry and are now enjoying Cork visiting a distant relative.

The injured man is due to see an orthopaedist on Wednesday and Richard said they hope they won’t have to reset his shoulder but he said “it’s hanging lower than it should”.

“We’re wishing for the best. Our mom doesn’t know about this yet, he’s waiting to tell her when he returns home so that she’s not worrying all week for him. We know she will.”

Gardaí are investigating the assault and robbery and have appealed for witnesses.

*We have only used the first name of the man’s brother and have not identified any of the tourists because some family members back in the US are not yet aware of the assault. 

Read: Appeal for witnesses after tourists targeted in violent robbery>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (52)