We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Sasko Lazarov/Photocall Ireland

28-year-old appears in court charged with murder of Waterford mother Samantha Walsh

Gardaí disputed the claim that Danny Whelan said “not guilty” when charged with the murder.

Updated 3.33pm

A 28-YEAR-OLD man has been remanded in custody after being charged with the murder of mother-of-four Samantha Walsh in Waterford city last week.

Danny Whelan, of no fixed abode but originally from Thurles in Co Tipperary, was brought before Waterford district court this morning after being charged at Waterford garda station last night.

The accused arrived in the courtroom at about 10.25am, accompanied by plain-clothes gardaí. He was wearing grey tracksuit bottoms, a grey hoodie and black trainers.

Detective Garda Patrick Kelly said he charged Danny Whelan at 9.30pm on Monday night in the garda station and the accused made no reply to the charge.

The accused’s solicitor, Colin Morrissey, said he was told by his client that he had said “not guilty” to the charge but Detective Garda Kelly said this was incorrect and there was no reply.

Morrissey applied for free legal aid, which was granted by Judge Kevin Staunton, and said that his client was on social welfare.

He also asked that Danny Whelan be afforded all medical and psychiatric care needed. He had been released from University Hospital Waterford “in respect to a self-harming issue”.

Judge Staunton directed that “all medical or psychological treatment as is deemed necessary” be provided to the accused.

Inspector Tony Lonergan said the State’s application was for a remand in custody. The judge remanded Danny Whelan in custody, to appear again before Waterford district court next Monday.

Walsh’s body was found in an apartment on Thomas Street, Waterford city, on Friday afternoon by emergency personnel after a man raised the alarm.

A post-mortem examination conducted on Saturday at University Hospital Waterford by deputy state pathologist Dr Michael Curtis confirmed that she had been assaulted.

Originally from the Lisduggan area in Waterford, Walsh also lived in Sligo and Mayo in recent years before returning to Waterford. She had only been living for a short time in the apartment where she was found dead.

Danny Whelan was arrested at the weekend by gardaí investigating Ms Walsh’s murder. He was detained under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984, at Waterford garda station over the weekend and charged last night.

Comments have been closed for legal reasons.

Read: Man (20s) arrested in connection with murder of Samantha Walsh

Read: Gardaí launch murder investigation into death of Samantha Walsh (31)

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.