TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 18 °C Friday 31 October, 2014

Alice Munro declines Nobel awards invite due to poor health

The winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature is due to pick up a prize of US $1.2 million.

Canadian author Alice Munro, pictured in 2009.
Canadian author Alice Munro, pictured in 2009.
Image: Chris Young/The Canadian Press/PA Images

AUTHOR ALICE MUNRO will not be travelling to Stockholm to pick up her Nobel Prize.

The 82-year-old Canadian native can’t make the journey due to poor health, the Academy secretary said today.

It is not known yet who will represent her at the awards ceremony, which will take place on 10 December.

When Munro was named the winner of the prestigious award earlier this month, the official Twitter page for the Nobel Prize said that they had been trying to get hold of her by phone, but hadn’t succeeded.

In the end, they left her a phone message.

The writer – whose body of work is chiefly made up of short stories – is due to collect a prize of US $1.2 million from the Swedish Academy.

A story by Munro from 1999 is printed in this week’s New Yorker – and is also available to read on its website.

- Additional reporting Associated Press

Read: Canadian Alice Munro wins Nobel Prize, doesn’t answer her phone>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (2 Comments)

Add New Comment