Jack Moule, 18, who is the British national freestyle jetski champion, performs at the London Boat Show today (Photo: John Stillwell/PA Wire)
HERE ARE THE things we learned, loved and shared today.
THINGS WE LEARNED:
#SHOOTING: A teenager is being treated at St James’s Hospital in Dublin after he was shot at the National War Memorial Gardens this afternoon. Gardaí are investigating the shooting of the 18-year-old and have appealed for any witnesses to come forward.
#CONFIDENCE: Enda Kenny has said he is confident that Ireland will secure a deal on promissory notes before the next payment is due at the end of March. The Taoiseach also spoke out about abortion legislation and said Ireland will not see abortion on demand introduced.
#NORTHERN IRELAND: Hundreds of people turned out for a peace rally in Belfast this afternoon in protest at the ongoing violence which saw 29 PSNI officers injured last night.
#POLL: A new poll has found that just one in ten people would choose a Fine Gael/Labour coalition if a general election were to be called.
#INDIA: Six men have been arrested over the rape of a passenger on a coach in India, just weeks after the gang-rape and murder of a student on a bus in New Delhi sparked nationwide protests.
#EUROLEAKS: Over the past three days, we’ve been bringing you stories from a leaked European Commission document into Ireland’s economy. You can read the document in full here – and here’s an explanation for how Irish bailout documents keep getting leaked to the public.
THINGS WE LOVED:
- Did it happen to snow in your part of the country today? There were small outbreaks around the east coast earlier today – but nothing like in Scotland, where this great photo was taken earlier today. Brave move by this cyclist:
(David Cheskin/PA wire)
- Are you happy? This thought-provoking article from The Atlantic looks at how there can be more to life than being happy – and how it is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness.
- The Golden Globe awards are on tonight. Are you going to watch? Here’s 7 reasons why presenters Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will be the best thing about the awards ceremony.
THINGS WE SHARED:
- If you’re not following Chris Hadfield (@Cmdr_Hadfield) on Twitter, you should: the flight engineer is living aboard the International Space Station and has been tweeting some incredible pictures of Earth seen from space. This evening he tweeted this. He describes it thus: “Sandstorm on the edge of farming country in the American Northwest”.
- This bus driver in Denmark had no idea what was happening when passengers on his bus started singing – but it turned out to be a flash mob birthday party for him. Aw. Even the fact that this is apparently a stunt organised by the bus company doesn’t dull the sheer sweetness of this: