TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 3 °C Tuesday 20 February, 2018
Advertisement

Man charged with 18 counts of attempted murder over Melbourne car attack

12 people remain in hospital, three of whom are in a critical condition.

Police at the scene after the incident in Melbourne
Police at the scene after the incident in Melbourne
Image: David Clough/PA Wire/PA Images

A MAN ACCUSED of driving his car into pedestrians in Melbourne has today been charged with 18 counts of attempted murder.

Saeed Noori, an Australian citizen of Afghan descent, has a history of drug abuse and mental problems. He allegedly drove his car through a busy downtown intersection on Thursday, careering into tourists and shoppers.

His motive is not clear, although police have said he made “utterances” to them about voices, dreams and the “poor treatment of Muslims” after his arrest. No link to any terrorist group has been found, authorities have said.

“A 32-year-old man has been charged with 18 counts of attempted murder and one count of conduct endangering life,” Victoria state police said in a statement.

Broadcaster ABC said Noori did not apply for bail when he appeared in court today, putting his head in his hands and becoming emotional when he saw his mother weeping during the short hearing.

The magistrate ordered a psychiatric assessment and he is due to appear in court again on Wednesday, the broadcaster reported.

Of the 20 people taken to hospital after the incident, 12 remain there and three are in a critical condition.

Nine foreigners were hurt, including three South Koreans, two of whom are fighting for their lives. A 25-year-old Irish woman was injured but is in a stable condition. The other people injured were from China, Italy, India, Venezuela and New Zealand.

With a major carols by candlelight event scheduled for Christmas Eve and the cricket test between Australia and England taking place on St Stephen’s’ Day nearby, police have said they will be out in force.

“Police are very well placed to do everything that is necessary to keep venues like the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) safe and so many others that are going to be really busy over these coming days,” Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews said.

Thursday’s incident came almost a year after a car rammed into pedestrians in Melbourne’s busiest mall in January, killing six people. The driver, whose case is still being heard, was a drug addict who had allegedly just stabbed his brother.

Like other countries, Australia has been taking steps to prevent vehicle attacks in crowded public places since the Nice truck incident in southern France last year that killed 86 people.

They include deterrent options like fencing and closed circuit cameras, and using delaying tactics such as trees and bollards to slow down vehicles.

Melbourne has also been installing a public siren system to warn people of possible terrorist attacks or other serious threats.

© AFP 2017

Comments are closed due to ongoing legal proceedings. 

Read: ‘No evidence to suggest terrorism’ after car is driven into crowd in Melbourne

Read: Irish woman in stable condition after being injured in Melbourne car incident

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS

Trending Tags