TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 12 °C Monday 20 November, 2017
Advertisement

Spanish authorities confirm missing boy died in Barcelona attack

Julian Cadman was separated from his mother Jom when a van struck crowds at Las Ramblas.

Updated at 4.48pm

20900958_1519744014759446_5246109333773442631_o Source: Cadman family

A YOUNG BOY from the United Kingdom was killed in Thursday’s terror attack in Barcelona, authorities have confirmed.

Julian Cadman had been reported missing after he was separated from his mother Jom – who is in a serious but stable condition in hospital – when a van struck crowds in the Spanish coastal city.

Images of the seven-year-old boy, who had dual British-Australian citizenship, were widely shared online by his family in attempt to find him.

However, the Spanish missing persons authority confirmed this afternoon that he was one of the victims.

Julian’s family described him as “a much loved and adored member of our family”.

As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us.
He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces. We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts,” they said, thanking those who helped in the search for the boy.

“We will not be making any further comments on this tragedy and ask everyone, especially the media, to give us the privacy we need to grieve away from the public eye.”

A Facebook status posted by his grandfather Tony Cadman had been shared online more than 100,000 times.

Spanish police said today that the Moroccan man suspected of driving the van used in the attack could be at large outside Spain, as grief-stricken Barcelona mourned victims of the vehicle rampage.

“We don’t know where he is,” said regional police chief Josep Lluis Trapero, referring to 22-year-old suspect Younes Abouyaaqoub, as officials confirmed that the cell behind the carnage had been preparing “one or more” assaults in Barcelona.

More than 120 gas canisters have been uncovered in a house where the suspects were believed to have been building bombs, Trapero said.

Spain Attacks A memorial to those killed in the attacks. Source: PA Images

But the jihadists had accidentally detonated an explosive at the house on the eve of Thursday’s attack in Barcelona, an error that likely forced them to modify their plans.

Instead, a vehicle was used to smash into crowds on Barcelona’s Las Ramblas boulevard as it was thronged with tourists, killing 13 people and injuring about 100.

Several hours later, there was another attack in the seaside town of Cambrils in which one woman was killed.

Police shot and killed the five attackers in Cambrils, some of whom were wearing fake explosive belts and carrying knifes.

SPAIN-BARCELONA-MASS Police stand guard near the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona Source: PA Images

In Barcelona, locals and tourists turned out in force on Sunday to mourn victims at the Sagrada Familia church designed by Gaudi, as snipers were posted on surrounding rooftops of the landmark building.

King Felipe, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and Catalonia’s president Carles Puigdemont led the 90-minute ceremony, while heavily armed police stood guard outside.

With reporting by © – AFP, 2017

‘I hope he is innocent’: Father of suspected Spain terror attacker speaks out >

Read: Spanish royals meet with Irish survivors of Barcelona terror attack >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (65)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel