This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 2 °C Friday 15 November, 2019

'I can't stop screaming inside': 74-year-old woman says rape left her waiting for death

“How can he behave with such brutality?” she asked in court. “A woman three times his age.”

Image: woman's hands via Shutterstock

A Kerry man who twice raped a 74-year-old woman after breaking into her home, left “the victim sobbing uncontrollably like a small child, broken, terrorised and waiting for death”.

Anthony Hussey (24) will be sentenced next month. He was wearing a balaclava and dressed in dark clothing when the woman found him in her bedroom. He told her that his boss was making him do it and that he didn’t want money.

“It’s just one thing and you are going to like it,” Hussey said before he told the woman there were three more men outside.

She screamed and struggled with him, but he pushed her to the floor and placed his hands over her mouth. He bent the woman over her bed, removed her trousers and underwear and sexually assaulted her. He then raped her both vaginally and anally.

Afterwards he said “you enjoyed that, didn’t you?” He covered her whole body with a duvet and left the her home.


Hussey of Ardshillane, Sneem, pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape and anal rape at the woman’s home on September 20, 2014.

Sergeant Michael Quirke told Tom Creed SC, prosecuting that Hussey had been at the woman’s house earlier that morning. She had woken to loud knocking and banging on the doors and windows of her house.

He claimed he had gone there by mistake having been drinking heavily through the night and went home. He then returned, broke into her house and raped her. She called the emergency services to report the rape just before 8am that morning.

He was a bar manager at the time and has never come to garda attention before or since. He was registered as a sex offender when he entered his plea last March.

DNA evidence

In the days after the rape Hussey told acquaintances he was “looking at time”. He told his friends he had gone to the woman’s house wearing a balaclava but said it was “only a fuckin’ break-in” and claimed he hadn’t raped her.

His DNA was later found on a fleece the woman had been wearing. He admitted to gardaí that he had been at her home earlier that morning, but said he couldn’t remember going back afterwards.

The woman read her victim impact statement. She said after the rape she was sobbing uncontrollably like a small child, “broken, terrorised, waiting for my death”.

“This phantom out of the darkness, standing in front of me demanding sex. I had no option but to fight. My feeble attempts to push him away. I was too weak or clumsy to defend myself, which seemed to amuse him. He started mocking me. When I pulled at his balaclava he said “ah you want to see my face now”.

“The belittling comments continued. He threatened me with a gang outside…..I knew I had no chance of winning his game”.

“How can he behave with such brutality? A woman three times his age. He could be my grandson.”

‘I can’t stop screaming inside’

She said it was more than one and half years since the rape and she felt “ashamed, naked, raw and so old, disgusted, betrayed and humiliated. There are not enough words”.

“I can’t stop screaming inside. My heart is bleeding with shock….I feel ripped open stood naked to the core of my being, reduced to nothing. I feel so hollowed out. I feel so small, having been reduced to a puppet like from a Punch and Judy show,” the woman continued. She added she felt “gutted in the truest sense of the word”.

She spoke of a hill near her home that she used to walk up, but could no longer do so without company.

“The day will come when I walk to the top of my hill, stand tall, lift up my arms to the sky and scream, scream for all those children and women who have been abused and who can’t cry out in despair, those who had to suffer in silence.”


Justice Patrick McCarthy remanded Hussey in custody until 7 June, next for sentence. He had been on bail, living with his sister in Kenmare pending sentence.

Michael Bowman SC, defending handed in a number of testimonials confirming that Hussey and his family were well thought of in the local community.

He said a report from a forensic psychologist stated that Hussey did not have common characteristics that would be found in the personality profiles of sexual predators and concluded that he did not present a future danger to others.

Counsel handed in a letter of apology from Hussey which said that he understood fully “the horrors he has impacted on the woman” and that he had listened intently to her statement.

A letter of apology from his parents said the victim would “always be in their prayers”.

Read: Man pleads not guilty by insanity to murdering mother with mug>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Sonya McLean and Conor Gallagher

Read next: