#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 13°C Tuesday 11 May 2021
Advertisement

Search for April Jones continues as parents thank those looking for her

Coral and Paul Jones met with some of the team who are looking for the five-year-old. Meanwhile, it is being reported that Prince William could join the search.

A police team searching land near Machnylleth
A police team searching land near Machnylleth
Image: Tim Ireland/PA Wire/Press Association Images

THE SEARCH CONTINUES for missing five-year-old Welsh girl April Jones.

Last week, Mark Bridger (46), a man who had been living locally in the area where Jones was from in Machynlleth, was remanded in custody after being charged with murder, abduction and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

As the search goes on, the BBC reports that April’s parents met with some of the teams looking for their daughter. It says that Coral and Paul Jones thanked them for their work, with local police saying the parents were “extremely grateful”.

The man leading the search, Supt Ian John, said that it will continue as long as there are viable lines of inquiry, said the BBC.

Meanwhile, the Telegraph reports that police searched a caravan in the village of Ceinws, near Machynlleth, yesterday. A quarry was also searched by divers.

According to the Telegraph, it has also emerged that Bridger was related to Jones, being the uncle of her two half sisters.

Bridger will appear at a plea and case management hearing on 11 January and will go on trial later in 2013.

There have been reports today that Prince William could join the search for missing April – as he is a member of the RAF, he could be part of a team that would search the Irish Sea and Snowdonia mountains by air, the Daily Record says.

Read: Lanterns lit in tribute to missing April Jones>

Read next:

COMMENTS