Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Warning after electric bike battery goes on fire inside house

It was charging overnight – thankfully a smoke alarm alerted the household.

IF YOU HAVE an electric bike, you know you have to charge the battery frequently.

But this photograph shared by Dublin Fire Brigade shows that sometimes these batteries can pose a danger.

A bike battery left to charge overnight in a Dublin house went on fire, ruining the bike in the process. Thankfully, the smoke alarm alerted the household, who contacted the fire brigade.

According to the site Electric Bike Report, it is rare for an electric bicycle battery to catch fire.

But it states that all batteries have the potential for fire. It advises people to buy high quality batteries, to only use the charger that came with the bike, and to make sure to read the information on the side of the charger.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

It advises that batteries should not be charged overnight, but should be charged when the owner is awake so they can be alert to any smell or smoke.

Read: Violent patients, overdoses, attacks and babies arriving – Saturday night for Dublin’s paramedics>

Read next:

COMMENTS (18)