The man was arrested on Monday and questioned by gardaí. Alamy Stock Photo

Man arrested over alleged bribery involving Limerick council contracts released without charge

Gardaí said that the investigation into alleged corruption in office is ongoing.

A MAN WHO was being questioned by gardaí as part of an investigation into alleged bribery in respect of local authority contracts in Limerick was released without charge.

The man in his 40s was arrested on Monday and was being questioned at a garda station in the Southern region.

Garda sources confirmed the investigation was in respect of the local authority in Limerick, which before 2014 was two separate councils.

The suspect was detained for questioning under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 as amended, gardaí said.

“The investigation relates to alleged Corruption in Office involving a former local authority employee and external contractors,” a garda spokesperson said.

“The investigation is being led by specialist detectives from the Anti-Bribery & Corruption Unit at the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau assisted by Divisional resources in the Southern Region.”

“This investigation is ongoing.”

In an updated statement, Thursday, a garda spokesperson said the arrested man had been “released without charge”.

“A file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. Investigations are ongoing,” the spokesperson added.

Limerick City and County Council did not respond to requests for comment.

Close
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds