This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 1 °C Tuesday 25 February, 2020

Drinking water alert issued in Clare by HSE, county council

Notice has been issued for customers of the Kildysart and Coolmeen public water supplies.

Image: Shutterstock

CLARE COUNTY COUNCIL and the HSE have issued a drinking water alert for people whose water is provided by the Kildysart public water supply and Coolmeen group water supply.

It is unclear when normal water service will resume from these providers.

Tankers will provide water to the public outside Kildysart Secondary School and the Hilltop Bar in Coolmeen from 10am tomorrow until midday, though anyone availing of water from the tankers is advised to boil it before consumption.

A spokesperson for Clare County Council said:

In the interest of public health, it is recommended that all users on the Kildysart Public Water Supply and the Coolmeen Group Water Supply should not use tap water until further notice except for the flushing of toilets, flushing of internal house plumbing systems, dishwashing and personal hygiene. Ice cubes in fridges and freezers should be discarded.

“We are unable to determine when normal service will be resumed, but Irish Water and Clare County Council will continue to liaise with the Health Service Executive with a view to lifting drinking water restrictions as soon as practicable,” they added.

Around 1,500 people are believed to be affected by the alert, which was issued in response to water discolouration caused by increased manganese levels in the public water supplies.

In a statement, the HSE and Clare County Council said further information will be made available via the Irish Water customer contact line on 1890 278 2748 and on Those affected by the alert are being asked to advise Irish Water or the county council of elderly or disabled people who may require special assistance during the notice.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

Read next: