This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 17 °C Saturday 21 September, 2019
Advertisement

Corkonians demand flood inquiry

Cork city residents demand public inquiry into last November’s floods.

Image: Niall Carson/PA Wire

CORK RESIDENTS HIT by last November’s floods in the city have demanded a public inquiry into the disaster, which caused an estimated €100 million in damage.

Residents from some of the areas worst affected by the flood have united to campaign for answers 11 months after the flooding. “We have no interest in apportioning blame,” residents spokesman Barry Keane told the Irish Examiner. “But it is essential that we get answers because there are vast areas of the city that can’t get insurance.”

Floods hit areas of Cork city again earlier this month, and residents say that another flood would be even more devastating. B & B owner Aideen Cronin told the Irish Examiner that her home insurance has soared by up to 60 per cent:

If we flood again, we’re homeless, unemployed and up to our necks in debt.

Solicitor Joe Noonan is believed to be examining a report on the flooding on behalf of a group of over 50 residents. Another Cork resident, Sally McGrath, only moved back into her home a few weeks ago following the floods. She also spoke to the Irish Examiner:

We lost everything. We felt like refugees. I want a public inquiry to prove this was a man-made disaster. We know what happened. We just want those responsible to admit it.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS