This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Saturday 22 February, 2020
Advertisement

Coroner's court hears garda surprised no prosecution taken over Baiba Saulite death

The detective superintendent told the coroner’s court that gardaí had recommended bringing charges when sending forward the case to the DPP.

File photo dates 20 November 2006 of gardaí and members of the Technical Bureau at the scene of Baiba Saulite's death.
File photo dates 20 November 2006 of gardaí and members of the Technical Bureau at the scene of Baiba Saulite's death.
Image: Eamonn Farrell/Photocall Ireland

ONE OF THE GARDAÍ involved in the investigation into the murder of Baiba Saulite has told the Dublin County Coroner’s Court he was surprised the DPP directed no prosecution be taken after gardaí had recommended bringing charges.

Saulite, a mother-of-two originally from Latvia, died after being shot three times by a lone gunman outside her home in Swords, Co Dublin, in November 2006.

RTÉ reports that Detective Superintendent Walter O’Sullivan said he believed Saulite was specifically targeted and information gathered in the garda investigation suggested a contact had been taken out on her death. He said those suspected of involvement were identified and prosecution was recommended when sending the case forward to the DPP.

The DPP later decided that no charges would be brought.

Read the report on today’s coroner court hearings in full on RTÉ.ie >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS