This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 3 °C Monday 17 February, 2020
Advertisement

Developer wins case over rejected planning for €75 million south county Dublin development

In a lengthy and detailed judgment Mr Justice Robert Haughton quashed the council’s decision “in its entirety.”

Michael O'Flynn
Michael O'Flynn

THE HIGH COURT has over-turned a refusal by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council to grant planning permission to a company of property developer and investor Michael O’Flynn.

The plan relates to a €75m residential development in south county Dublin.

O’Flynn Capital Partners (OFCP), whose founder is Michael O’Flynn, had sought a judicial review of the council’s July 2015 refusal for 164 residential units at Beech Park, Bray Road, Cabinteely.

The council, which had opposed the application, had refused permission on a number of grounds including that it contravened the area’s planning scheme.

In a lengthy and detailed judgment Mr Justice Robert Haughton quashed the council’s decision “in its entirety.”

The judge remitted the matter back to the council for a fresh determination after finding that reasons given by the local authority for refusing permission were invalid and that irrelevant matters had been taken into consideration.

The council’s refusal was tainted and in the circumstances the whole decision should be quashed, he said.

“Biased”

In his action O’Flynn had claimed the council was “biased and had predetermined or prejudged the planning application” because of a dispute over a road leading into the proposed development.

OFCP and O’Flynn have said that they would be prepared to negotiate access with other land-owners in respect of the road.

OFCP’s plan involves the demolition of 11 existing dwellings and the construction of a 158 metre section of the Druid’s Glen Road linking the proposed development to the N11 road.

Mr O’Flynn had claimed the potential sales value of the developed land should exceed €75m. The proposal will also create around 100 full time construction jobs. The land was acquired for more than €12m.

Council planners had refused permission on grounds including the development failed to provide a “high quality site-specific design response for the site” in relation to layout, ecology and landscape design.

It would seriously injure the amenities or depreciate the value of property in the vicinity, was contrary to proper planning and is not consistent with the Cherrywood Planning Scheme in regard to its design and sequencing, the council said.

Cherrywood

20/08/2014 Dublin Scenes. Pictured the Four Courts Source: Sam Boal

O’Flynn had argued that until the dispute has been resolved it seemed likely none of the development proposed for a 36-acre area within the Cherrywood scheme could be built, including at one residentially-zoned area which could provide up to 543 new homes.

He also argued the planning authority is obliged by law to grant permission where it is satisfied the proposed development is consistent with the local planning scheme.

The High Court action was brought because the proposal is located within a strategic development zone (SDZ) and a local area planning scheme. As a result the council’s refusal could not have been appealed to An Bord Pleanála.

In his judgment the judge said one of the reasons the council had refused permission in respect of the Druid Glen Road was to avoid creating a ransom strip. This was to effectively oblige the OFCP to make a joint or coordinated application with adjoining landowners in respect of that entire road.

This was an improper motive and involved the taking into account of irrelevant considerations, the judge said.

Judge Haughton said he was remitting the application back to the Council so it could make its decision based on submissions already before it and the conclusions in the court’s judgment.

Read: Government to appeal decision to protect Moore Street battlefield site to Supreme Court

Read: This €90 million development is planned for Cork city

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Aodhan O Faolain

Read next:

COMMENTS (47)