This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 17 °C Friday 10 April, 2020
Advertisement

Gunman dead after attack at Estonian defence ministry - reports

Estonian news agencies report that an “incident involving guns” has taken place in downtown Tallinn.

Image: tiseb via Flickr

Updated 4.10pm

A GUNMAN WHO attacked the Estonian ministry of defence in downtown Tallinn, is now dead, according to Estonian police.

There were local reports that a hostage may have been taken.

Spokesman Peeter Kuimet told AP that there had been an “incident involving guns” inside the ministry and that police at the scene.

Martin Jasko, a government spokesman, said all employees have evacuated the building and police have cordoned off the surrounding area.

The Postimees, a leading daily paper in Estonia, reported on its website that the shooter may have taken a hostage inside the ministry.

A reporter for the Delfi news wesbite said from the scene that there had been shots approximately 20 minutes apart and that two people jumped through a window and ran away after the second shot.

Hannes Kont, the director of press at Defense Ministry, told AP that the minister, Mart Laar, was not in the building when the shooting started.

- Additional reporting by Emer McLysaght

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS