Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now

Investigation opened after man goes on knife and runway rampage at Cork airport

Gardaí, the Garda Ombudsman and officials at Cork airport are all investigating the incident which left a trail of damage in Cork city and at Cork airport as well two gardaí injured in hospital.

The scene at Cork airport yesterday afternoon
The scene at Cork airport yesterday afternoon
Image: Picture via @johnpeavoy on Twitter

Updated at 13.18

GARDAÍ ARE CONTINUING to question a man following an incident in Cork yesterday in which a garda was stabbed, two vehicles were stolen and several vehicles were rammed in a dangerous rampage that ended with a man being tasered at Cork airport.

Cork airport has launched an internal investigation into the incident. The gardaí and the Garda Ombudsmanare also investigating yesterday’s events.

A man who was arrested yesterday and is reported to be in his 40s is being questioned but has not yet been charged.

Gardaí told this morning that they can hold the man for up to 24 hours and say they are investigating all aspects of the incident.

It began yesterday afternoon when a man was stopped by gardaí on Patrick Street in the Cork city centre, the Irish Times reports.

It is understood the man stabbed a garda officer, stole his jeep and then took off from near Dunne Stores on Patrick Street, sending pedestrians fleeing for cover as he drove down Winthrop Street and Oliver Plunkett Street.

He rammed several vehicles as he drove towards Cork airport.

Video via iPiep/YouTube

The Irish Independent reports that the man then rammed the perimeter fence at the airport, was confronted by gardaí and fire officials but then brandished his knife and charged two men from their fire jeep, hi-jacking this and then attempting to ram two parked planes.

The man, who is understood to be from Waterford originally, was eventually tasered by gardaí from the Regional Support Unit and taken into custody.

The two gardaí injured in the incident are being treated at Cork University hospital for their injuries but these are not understood to be life threatening.

Passenger John Peavoy was at the airport and described the events on Twitter:

Investigation opened after man goes on knife and runway rampage at Cork airport
1 / 4
  • Cork Airport Incident Witness 1

  • Cork Airport Incident Witness 2

  • Cork Airport Incident Witness 3

  • Cork Airport Incident Witness 4

Watch the video to see how events unfolded yesterday:

About the author:

Hugh O'Connell

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel