#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 13°C Saturday 19 September 2020
Advertisement

Marriott International says up to 500 million hotel guests affected by hack

Marriott was alerted on 8 September that there has been an attempt to hack their reservation database in the US.

Image: Shutterstock/Brian A Jackson

MARRIOTT INTERNATIONAL HAS said that up to 500 million hotel guests may have had their data compromised in a hack of the Starwood reservation database.

The Shelbourne Hotel and the Westin Hotel in Dublin are part of the Marriott International group. The Shelbourne Hotel has confirmed that it has never been a Starwood hotel. 

Marriott said it was alerted on 8 September that there had been an attempt to hack their reservation database in the US.

The company launched a probe, and discovered “that there had been unauthorised access to the Starwood network since 2014″.

They discovered “that an unauthorised party had copied and encrypted information, and took steps towards removing it”. 

On 19 November, Marriott ”was able to decrypt the information and determined that the contents were from the Starwood guest reservation database”. 

Other hotels in the Starwood network include Sheraton, Four Points by Sheraton and W Hotels.

“We deeply regret this incident happened,” said Arne Sorenson, Marriott’s President and Chief Executive Officer.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

“We fell short of what our guests deserve and what we expect of ourselves.”

With reporting by Hayley Halpin

© AFP 2018

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel