#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 16°C Tuesday 21 September 2021
Advertisement

Max Clifford arrested by 'Operation Yewtree' police

Clifford is serving an eight-year sentence for indecent assault.

Image: AP/Press Association Images

DISGRACED FORMER PR man Max Clifford has been arrested by investigators working as part of ‘Operation Yewtree’ according to reports in the UK.

The 71-year-old, who is currently serving an eight-year sentence for indecent assault, is understood to have been interviewed by police in connection with sexual offence allegations, according to the BBC.

“Can confirm officers from Operation Yewtree have today, Thursday 12 March, arrested a 71-year-old man in connection with allegations of sexual offences, under the strand of the investigation we have termed ‘Others’,” a statement from London’s Met Police said.

He was interviewed at a police station in Peterborough.

“Enquiries continue.”

Clifford hasn’t been named by police.

However, detectives have so far spoken to 17 people as part of the operation, which was launched in the wake of the Jimmy Savile revelations.

“This is not a new individual to Operation Yewtree. This is not an 18th individual,” a Scotland Yard spokesperson said, according to Sky News.

In May of last year Clifford was jailed for eight years after being found guilty of eight charges against women and girls as young as 15 between 1977 and 1984.

Clifford was one of the most influential figures in the British entertainment world. He advised a number of high-profile clients, including Simon Cowell.

He was the first person to be convicted under Operation Yewtree investigations.

Read: ISIS have accepted that ‘pledge of allegiance’ from Boko Haram

Read: Supermarket worker murdered Irishman while high on synthetic ecstasy 

About the author:

Daragh Brophy

Read next:

COMMENTS