Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Police post photos of just how badly charging your phone while sleeping can go

It’s unclear whether or not anyone was hurt in the incident.

IF YOU ARE in the habit of charging your phone beneath your pillow at night, for pity’s sake please stop.

If that doesn’t convince you then the following just might.

The NYPD have tweeted the aftermath of a phone catching fire while charging underneath a pillow, and it is not one bit pretty.

The incident reportedly happened in the Washington Heights area of Manhattan according to ABC7 New York, a report that also suggests that the fire happened while the ruined Samsung phone’s owner slept.

phone1 Source: NYPD33pct/Twitter

The damage done to the bed is quite dramatic, with holes burnt clear through the bedspread.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

phone3 Source: NYPD33pct/Twitter

A lesson, if such a lesson be needed, that electricity, batteries, pillows, and sleeping people do not comfortable bedfellows make.

phone2 Source: NYPD33pct/Twitter

phone4 Source: NYPD33pct/Twitter

Read: A smartphone that costs €6 is going on sale in India

Read: The Pope was not impressed that someone nearly pulled him down

Read next:

COMMENTS (36)