This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Friday 26 April, 2019
Advertisement

Kilkenny bridge protesters block construction site

Others say there is a “silent majority” who support the construction.

Image: Darragh Byrne

GARDAÍ REMOVED A small number of protesters from the path of vehicles on their way to a construction site at Green’s Bridge in Kilkenny City today.

The group, who are opposed to the construction of a controversial new bridge over the River Nore, physically blocked the path of trucks into and out of the building site at several times this morning and afternoon.

Some demonstrators, speaking to TheJournal.ie, said that while members of the Garda Síochána had generally acted to defuse tensions on the scene, they had physically removed two women from the path of the trucks.

In response to a query from TheJournal.ie, a Garda spokesperson issued the following statement this evening:

Gardaí attended the scene of a protest this afternoon at 3.30 pm in Kilkenny.
Three protesters were blocking the entrance for a construction vehicle at a construction site at Green’s Bridge.
The protest ended peacefully a short time later.
No one was arrested, no one was injured, and construction work continued.

The spokesperson did not address the question of alleged physical interventions by Gardaí during incidents earlier in the day.

Protestors - Journal- Gaurds in Kettle Formation2 Source: Darragh Byrne

Meanwhile, a Facebook group calling itself CAS for Kilkenny has been set up to express strong support for the construction of the bridge, as well as the wider CAS (Central Access Scheme) in the city.

One of its members told TheJournal.ie this evening that there was a “silent majority” in Kilkenny who supported the redevelopment.

The Central Access Scheme will open up two of the largest unused sites for development. Hopefully this will bring potential jobs to Kilkenny.
The current bridge, built in 1766, is not fit for use and at 4.8 metres wide cannot carry all traffic in both directions.
It’s a lethal road for kids cycling to school, and there are numerous near misses each school term.

Read: ‘Phil Hogans’ hold protest against controversial Kilkenny bridge>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Dan MacGuill

Read next:

COMMENTS (75)