Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Woman suffers burn injuries after toilet explodes

The explosion’s believed to have been caused by a build-up of methane.

Image: Shutterstock/Joseph

A SLOVENIAN WOMAN needed hospital treatment for burn injuries today after an explosion in a farm toilet believed to have been caused by a build-up of methane, police in Austria said.

“When the woman turned on the light there was a sudden explosion, leaving the woman with burn injuries on both arms, hands and her head,” a statement from Steiermark state police in southern Austria said.

They said the cause was thought to be a leak of methane from a nearby septic tank that collected inside the toilet cubicle.

A spark from the electrical circuit then caused the gas to explode.

© AFP, 2015

Read: Most of the refugees Ireland will take in EU plan will be here at Christmas >

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (32)