This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Saturday 23 March, 2019
Advertisement

'He is bleeding all over and I may have killed him': 911 call made by Jason Corbett's father-in-law

Tom and Molly Martens face charges over the death.

PastedImage-52464 Source: Davidson County Sheriff's Office

THE 911 CALL made from Jason Corbett’s house on the night he died has been released by authorities in the US.

The Limerick man’s wife and father-in-law have been charged in relation to his death, both due to face trial on charges of voluntary manslaughter and/or second-degree murder.

Corbett, 39, sustained fatal head injuries during an alleged assault in his North Carolina home on 2 August 2015.

During the 911 call, Tom Martens – his father in law and former FBI agent – tells the operator that he hit him in the head with a baseball bat.

He says the incident occurred during an argument, claiming that Corbett was choking his daughter.

Here is the full transcript of the call:

Tom Martens:

My daughter’s husband… my son in law… got in a fight with my daughter. I intervened and I think he is in bad shape. We need help.

911 responder: Ok, what do you mean he’s in bad shape? He’s hurt?

Martens:

He is bleeding all over and I may have killed him. I hit him in the head…

911 responder: With what?

Martens:

…with a baseball bat.

911 responder: With a baseball bat…

Martens:

Yes Ma’am. He was choking my daughter. He said, ‘I’m going to kill her.’

The responder tells Martens to start chest compressions and a distressed Molly can be heard in the background crying and counting. The 911 responder tells them to “keep going”. The paramedics then arrive at the scene and they are asked to ‘back away’ so they can do their jobs.

The responder then asks Tom to keep Molly calm before asking if he is OK. He says he is.

Grand jury

The father-and-daughter pair were indicted by a grand jury earlier this week, surrendered themselves and appeared in court. Both were granted bail with strict conditions.

They are claiming that the death occurred after an act of self-defence.

The local sheriff’s office released documents yesterday pertaining to the case. In one affidavit, a detective questions Marten’s claims about the domestic altercation. He noted that the scene he investigated was not consistent with what is known as a ‘Donnybrook’ – or an uncontrolled fight.

According to local newspaper the Winston-Salem Journal, the documents show that Corbett wanted to transfer $60,000 to Ireland in preparation for a move home.

The court papers also state that Corbett may have refused Martens permission to adopt his two children.

A custody battle between the Corbett family, living in Ireland, and Molly Martens ensued after Jason’s death. His sister was granted custody and the children moved back to Ireland, where they are currently living.

Comments are disabled as legal proceedings are ongoing. 

“We continue to grieve for Jason” – family of Jason Corbett hope to discover truth of what happened

Molly and Tom Martens granted bail in North Carolina court

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS

    Trending Tags