This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Saturday 25 May, 2019
Advertisement

Video: Former Sun editor MacKenzie doorstepped over Hillsborough headline

Former newspaper editor behind infamous ‘The Truth’ headline doorstepped by Channel 4 News today but he refused to answer questions.

THE FORMER EDITOR of The Sun newspaper, Kelvin MacKenzie was doorstepped by Channel 4 news this morning amid the controversy over his infamous front page headline about the Hillsborough disaster 23 years ago.

MacKenzie issued an apology last week following the publication of the Hillsborough Independent Panel’s report into the disaster which exposed a police cover-up that has been labelled in some quarters as the biggest in British history.

Days after the disaster, MacKenzie published the frontpage headline ‘The Truth’ under which a number of false claims about the behaviour of fans on the day of the disaster, which killed 96 Liverpool fans, were made.

The claims, which include that fans had robbed from and urinated on the dead, were a result of briefings from officers in South Yorkshire Police who were attempting to cover-up their culpability for the disaster.

MacKenzie apologised last week but has so far not explained in detail the reasons behind his decision and under question from Channel 4′s Alex Thomson today he appeared less than pleased to answer any:

YouTube:

Writing on his blog, Thomson said that he had earlier approached MacKenzie off camera and was told to “F*** off”.

Hillsborough: MacKenzie apologises for Sun’s ‘The Truth’ headline

More on the Hillsborough report >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Hugh O'Connell

Read next:

COMMENTS (31)