AN 11-YEAR-OLD BOY HAS BEEN charged in connection to the Ardoyne riots which began on 12 July, BBC Northern Ireland reports. The boy, who is due to appear in court later this month, has been charged with riotous assembly and possession of an offensive weapon. He cannot be named for legal reasons, and is due back in court on 29 September.
# ardoyne - Today’s News
A complete Christmas guide for all your shopping.
# ardoyne - Tuesday 15 September, 2015
Henry MacErlean was arrested for erecting a poster for help line ‘Lifeline’ last June.
# ardoyne - Monday 13 July, 2015
Police have been coming under ‘sustained attack’, the PSNI said.
# ardoyne - Sunday 7 September, 2014
He was shot in both feet in the nationalist Ardoyne area of Belfast last night.
# ardoyne - Saturday 12 July, 2014
The Orange Order has said it wants peace during today’s events. Bonfires (pictured) were lit to celebrate 11th Night last night.
# ardoyne - Sunday 6 July, 2014
Unionist parties walked out of Stormont over a decision on a contentious parade route earlier this week.
# ardoyne - Saturday 15 March, 2014
The man’s body was found just before 3am this morning.
# ardoyne - Wednesday 24 July, 2013
The order has vowed to stage a protest at the location every weekend until it is allowed complete its ‘July Twelfth’ parade.
# ardoyne - Sunday 21 July, 2013
PSNI stopped the parade on the Woodvale Road, one kilometre outside Ardoyne.
# ardoyne - Saturday 20 July, 2013
The parade is due to take place at 2.30pm today.
# ardoyne - Thursday 18 July, 2013
In a decision announced this evening, the Commission said it had received no representations from unionists ahead of Saturday’s march.
# ardoyne - Wednesday 10 July, 2013
Good morning! Here are the nine stories you need to know as you kick off your day.
# ardoyne - Thursday 16 August, 2012
The man was arrested today and charged with offences including hijacking and attempted grevious bodily harm.
# ardoyne - Friday 10 August, 2012
Young teenager will appear before Belfast Magistrates Court this morning.
# ardoyne - Monday 16 July, 2012
The men have been arrested by police investigating the attempted murder of officers during the Twelfth Night incidents.
# ardoyne - Sunday 15 July, 2012
The man is being held at Antrim police station in connection with the incidents which occurred in the Ardoyne area last Thursday.
# ardoyne - Friday 13 July, 2012
At least 10 shots were fired at police in Ardoyne last night.
Petrol bombs were thrown and shots fired amid disturbances after the Twelfth of July marches.
# ardoyne - Monday 23 January, 2012
The UK media regulator said ITV “breached audience trust” by showing footage purporting to be of an IRA attack – but which actually came from a video game.
# ardoyne - Thursday 14 July, 2011
Players attacked on way home from trip to Louth – they had arranged the day out to avoid trouble surrounding the Orange Order march in Belfast.
# ardoyne - Wednesday 13 July, 2011
Loyalists of all ages take part in Orange Order parades; Nationalist youths later turn on police. Our gallery.
Violence flared in parts of Belfast, Derry and Antrim last night as violence erupted before and after Orange Order parades.
# ardoyne - Friday 21 January, 2011
Policewoman was seriously injured when a concrete block was dropped on her from above during rioting in July.
# ardoyne - Wednesday 1 December, 2010
A rapist was shot seven times in the groin by republican paramilitaries in Belfast, and surgery could not repair the damage.
# ardoyne - Thursday 9 September, 2010
# ardoyne - Thursday 2 September, 2010
# ardoyne - Wednesday 25 August, 2010
A TEENAGER HAS BEEN arrested in connection with the Ardoyne riots last month. The 16-year-old boy is being questioned in relation to riots which began on 12 July and continued for four days. A 41-year-old man was charged with riotous assembly. Yesterday, a 25-year-old man and a 44-year-old man were charged with riotous assembly for the disturbances.
# ardoyne - Sunday 22 August, 2010
A MAN IS DUE to appear in Belfast Magistrates’ Court court tomorrow to face charges in connection with rioting in Ardoyne during the 12 July parades this year. The 28-year-old charged with attempted murder and riotous assembly.
# ardoyne - Thursday 22 July, 2010
THE FEMALE PSNI officer who was seriously injured during the Ardoyne riots has been released from hospital. Rioters struck ‘Samantha’ on the head with a concrete block dropped from a shop roof.
The PSNI says it knows the identity of her attacker, but has not arrested him yet.
The riots kicked off in Ardoyne on 12 July as annual Orange Order parades took place around Northern Ireland. Four days of violence and vandalism followed as nationalist and unionist youths clashed in the streets.
The PSNI said that in certain situations it is not practical for officers to make arrests, but they have been studying CCTV footage from the area. Last week, one woman was charged with possession of a loaded firearm near the scene of the riots. Over 80 PSNI officers were injured over the course of the riots.
This footage shows PSNI officers confronting rioters on 14 July:
# ardoyne - Monday 19 July, 2010
A 49-YEAR-OLD WOMAN has appeared in court in Belfast on charges of possessing a loaded gun near last week’s riots in Ardoyne. Norma Elizabeth Crowder from Butler Walk was arrested by PSNI officers on Friday and charged yesterday.
Ms Crowder denied knowledge of the loaded gun and ammunition found under decking in her garden. She was granted bail on condition of being electronically tagged and surrendering her passport. Ms Crowder will appear in court again next month.
Police are continuing their investigations into the riots which injured over 80 of their officers.
The four-day riots kicked off on on the 12 July as annual Orange Order parades took place around the North. Ardoyne residents affected by the violence and vandalism of the riots held a demonstration on Thursday evening to show their disapproval of the rioting. Locals also called for further arrests to be made in connection with the riots.
# ardoyne - Thursday 15 July, 2010
FURTHER VIOLENCE broke out in the Ardoyne area of Belfast last night for the fourth consecutive night. Rival groups of nationalist and unionist youths have been clashing on the north Belfast streets. Police fired baton rounds in an attempt to disperse the rioters.
Police were attacked with golf balls and petrol bombs, and used a water cannon to disperse the crowd. Before last night’s attacks, over 80 PSNI officers had already been injured in the continuing unrest, with one female officer seriously injured after a concrete block was dropped on her.
Two men were arrested last night, one of whom was released pending further inquiries. A smaller number of people is reported to have turned out to confront police last night than on previous nights.
# ardoyne - Wednesday 14 July, 2010
OVER EIGHTY police officers were injured as rioting continued in Belfast last night. This is the third day of rioting in Ardoyne and Belfast, following the marches of the twelfth. Rioters hijacked and burnt out cars, broke up curbing, threw petrol bombs and attacked police. Officers responded by using a water cannon.
Youths also set up barriers and a bus was damaged, wheelie bins were set also set alight. The Newsletter is reporting that some of the rioters were as young as eight.
A PSNI video shows clashes between PSNI riot officers and 150 hooded youths, two hours before Orangemen passed a flashpoint interface. One youth was seen taunting police with a six-foot wooden spear and at another stage, three rioters used scaffolding to attack police. Over 80 officers were injured last night according to Police Federation chief Terry Spence.
“I think both sides have responsibility for what’s going on here in many respects” he said.
“I think they need to look at what is happening in these areas where the contentious parades results in scores of police officers being seriously injured and where their lives are threatened”
Chief Constable Matt Baggot said there had been a dangerous cocktail of “recreational rioting with a sinister edge”.
Northern Ireland’s First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness yesterday hit out at those behind the rioting and defended their political efforts to ease tensions over controversial parades. RTE.ie are reporting that both men will mean the Chief Constable to discuss the riots later today.
A PSNI jeep under attack.
Pictures from the riots.
# ardoyne - Tuesday 13 July, 2010
HUNDREDS OF PSNI officers lined the streets of Belfast last night as violence broke out during the 12 July parades.
Violence continued throughout the day and into the night: In Lurgan a group of about 50 youths hurled petrol bombs and stones, in Derry a petrol bomb was thrown at a house in the Irish Street area of the city, and cars were burned out in Armagh.
In Belfast a bus was hijacked in the afternoon by a group of masked men who claimed to have fitted a bomb on board. The driver was instructed to drive the vehilce to Woodbourne PSNI station in western Belfast. Police closed streets as they investigated the threat, however it was later established as a hoax.
The Orange Order was given permission to return home after the march through the nationalist area of Ardoyne, where residents staged a peaceful sit-down protest. However violent demonstrators mixed with the peaceful protesters, throwing bricks, stones and petrol bombs.
Police moved the protesters shortly after 10pm and the march continued.
Shortly after 1.00 am five shots were reportedly fired at a burning police vehicle in Derry. Nobody was hurt in the incident.
Leader in Northern Ireland have condemned the acts of violence. Sinn Féin’s John O’Dowd described the rioting as “pointless” and PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Alistair Finlay said that a resolution to the issue of the parades needed to be found once and for all:
“This is the only way we can move away from the disorder, tensions and fear that grips Northern Ireland every year,” he said, “We need to see real joined-up strategic political leadership, backed up by everyone in communities making their peaceful voices heard.”