This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 13 °C Monday 24 September, 2018
Advertisement

Children are disappearing and starving to death in northeastern Nigeria

It’s now feared that studies which showed a drop in the number of Nigerian children at risk is actually caused by children disappearing.

A mother feeds her malnourished child at a feeding centre run by Doctors Without Borders in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
A mother feeds her malnourished child at a feeding centre run by Doctors Without Borders in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Image: Sunday Alamba

A SURVEY OF two refugee camps in the northeastern city of Maiduguri shows a quarter of the expected population of under-five children is missing, assumed dead, according to the organisation Doctors Without Borders.

Northeastern Nigeria’s under-five mortality rates are more than double the threshold for declaring an emergency says Natalie Roberts, an emergency programme manager for northeast Nigeria, told The Associated Press.

Thousands of children have died of starvation and disease in Boko Haram-ravaged northeastern Nigeria, Doctors Without Borders said today quoting a new survey that is forcing Nigerian officials to stop denying the crisis.

The Paris-based organisation hopes that official recognition of the calamity in which “thousands are dying every day” will help bring urgent aid before older children also start dying,  Roberts said in a phone interview.

Speaking on her return from northeastern Borno state, the birthplace of Boko Haram’s Islamic uprising, she said the absence of young children was striking.

“We only saw older brothers and sisters. No toddlers are straddling their big sisters’ hips. No babies strapped to their mums’ backs. It’s as if they have just vanished,” Roberts said.

Doctors Without Borders first sounded the alarm in June but Nigerian camp officials as late as September denied any child was suffering malnutrition. That was even after The Associated Press published images of matchstick-thin children fighting for their lives at Doctors Without Borders intensive feeding center in Maiduguri.

The difference now is that our figures have been checked by the statistician general, and we have official recognition from the government that they believe this is happening.

An estimated 75,000 children could die within a year because donors have provided only one-third of requested funding and twice as much, $1 billion, is needed for the rest of the year and into 2017, says the United Nations.

A vital funding conference in Geneva next month could save the day, otherwise “it won’t be long before we could be in the painful position of having to turn away sick and starving children,” says the US-based Save the Children.

Some 2.6 million people including more than 1 million children have been driven from their homes by Nigeria’s seven-year-old insurgency that has killed more than 20,000 people, left food-producing fields fallow, disrupted trade routes and destroyed wells, bridges and entire towns.

The crisis is aggravated by alleged theft of food aid being investigated by Nigeria’s senate.

President Muhammadu Buhari last month set up a presidential committee to coordinate aid and the rebuilding of the northeast, even as an end to the rainy season has brought a predictable upsurge in attacks on military outposts and urban suicide bombings by the Islamic extremists.

Read: UK Government “doesn’t recognise” leaked memo about lack of Brexit plan

Read: Hate crimes against Muslims in the US up by nearly 70%

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (16)

    Trending Tags