TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 14 °C Tuesday 30 September, 2014

Six-month-old Irish baby suffers “terrible injuries” in Qatar bedroom fire

It is believed an air conditioning unit was the cause of the blaze that left Elizabeth Soffe with serious injuries.

baby elizabeth soffe

Source: YouCaring.com

AN IRISH FAMILY is attempting to raise £100,000 for their daughter who was badly injured in a fire in Doha, Qatar.

Baby Elizabeth Soffe is six months old and has two brothers and a sister. The family have been living for the past few years in Doha, Qatar, which is where the fire occurred last month.

On 29 May, Elizabeth’s mother Sinead put her baby to bed in her cot. Not long after, it is believed the air conditioning unit above where Elizabeth was sleeping caught fire.

Sinead heard her baby crying and discovered the room was full of smoke and the crib was on fire, Doha News says.

According to the fundraising site, Elizabeth suffered “terrible injuries” and was taken by medivac to Birmingham in the UK, where she has undergone a number of surgeries.

Doha News says that the baby was found to have burns over 60% of her body.

Fundraising

The family are now facing financial pressure as they lost all their belongings in the fire, and have to travel between the UK and Ireland, where their other children are staying with a relative.

According to the YouCaring site, “medical bills are growing”. Doha News also notes that the insurance company is covering costs for the moment, but Elizabeth is likely to need long-term treatment for her injuries.

A number of fundraising events are being organised and an online YouCaring fundraising site has been set up.

Read: Blaze engulfs iconic Glasgow School of Art building>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (13 Comments)

Add New Comment