TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 13 °C Tuesday 2 September, 2014

‘Let Garth play’: GPO protest over Brooks concert fiasco

Hope is fading that a resolution to the debacle can be found, with the parties at an apparent impasse after a compromise deal was rejected on Thursday.

[Sarah Bennett via Twitter]

AROUND 50 PEOPLE have turned out on Dublin’s O’Connell Street for a demonstration calling for Garth Brooks to be allowed play all five nights of his planned ‘comeback event’ in Croke Park.

It follows a week-and-a-half of controversy over the gigs since Dublin City Council announced last week that concerts could only go ahead on three of the five nights originally booked.

It had appeared a resolution might be reached on Thursday, but the day ended with promoters Aiken rejecting a compromise proposal from the Council, that matinee performances could also be held over the three days, allowing all ticket-holders to attend.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio 1 this afternoon, reporter Maura Treasa Ní Cheallaigh, who is at the protest, said those taking part “seemed to be blaming the system”.

Several fans said they should never have been sold tickets if there was a chance of the gigs not going ahead, Ní Cheallaigh said.

[image: Sinead Corcoran]

 

Brooks himself said in a statement last week that he would “go to the last second” in his efforts to try and get the five scheduled nights back.

He urged the “powers that be” in Ireland to try and find a resolution while his concert gear was still on the way over, and before ticket-holders are given refunds.

Ticketmaster is to begin automatically refunding customers from Tuesday.

First posted at 12.50pm.

Read: Now Enda is trying to get the Garth Brooks concerts back

Read: Sorry, Garth: No sign from government of a new deal to save gigs 

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (251 Comments)

Add New Comment