WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- Health Minister James Reilly will be answering questions related to his department at 2 pm. Last week’s damning Prime Time investigation into the ambulance service may come up.
- As the fallout from GardaGate continues, Taoiseach Enda Kenny will be in the firing line during Leaders’ Questions at 3.15 pm.
- Fianna Fáil will be tabling a motion of no confidence in Justice Minister Alan Shatter this week. All eyes will be on the Dáil at 7.30 pm this evening as debate surrounding the motion is sure to get heated.
Everything else that’s happening in the Dáil
- Following the Order of Business at 4.36 pm, the Road Traffic (Amendment) Bill 2012 and the 2013 report on service by the Defence Forces with the United Nations will be discussed.
- Topical Issues will be debated at 5.06 pm.
- This will be followed by discussions on the Oireachtas (Ministerial and Parliamentary Offices) (Amendment) Bill 2013 and the Forestry Bill 2013.
- The Dáil will adjourn at 9 pm.
Everything happening in the Seanad
- The Order of Business will be see anything and everything discussed by senators at 2.30 pm.
- The Fines (Payment and Recovery) Bill 2013 will be debated at 2.45 pm. The Bill deals with the payment and recovery of fines imposed on criminals.
- Following that, Matters on the Adjournment will be discussed, where four items of concern will be raised by senators.
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- The work of Debt and Development Coalition Ireland will be discussed by the Foreign Affairs Committee in Room 4 at 12 pm.
- Representative of the Personal Injuries Assessment Board will give statements to the Jobs Committee in Room 2 at 1.30 pm on the opportunities for citizens and State to contribute to the Irish economy.
- The EU Affairs Committee will be discussing the European Semester Process, a period of economic and fiscal policy coordination within the EU, in Room 1 at 2 pm. Following this, European Affairs Minister Paschal Donohoe will address the committee on the National Reform Programme for Ireland 2013.
- Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte will address the the Environment Committee on the potential to export surplus electricity generated in Ireland to the UK in Room 4 at 2.15 pm.
- Representatives from Barnardos, Focus Ireland and the Children’s Rights Alliance will be among those to address the Health Committee on the Aftercare Bill 2014 in Room 2 at 5.15 pm. If adopted, the Bill would oblige the Child and Family Agency to provide aftercare for young adults when they leave formal State care at 18.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a bill become a law? >