Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
ROLLING STONE HAS published new photographs and video of the alleged crimes of US soldiers in Afghanistan who stand accused of forming a ‘kill team’ to murder Afghan civilians.
The magazine will this Friday publish an article by Mark Boal, the screenwriter of the Oscar winning Iraq war movie The Hurt Locker, entitled “The Kill Team: How U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan murdered innocent civilians and mutilated their corpses – and how their officers failed to stop them.”
The article details the events surrounding the alleged murders in Kandahar and the shocking images the soldiers took of mutilated corpses which have so far emerged. (Warning: Extremely graphic and disturbing images)
There is also a video of two US soldiers, believed to be members of the ‘kill team’, shooting two Afghans on a motorcycle.
The magazine says the Pentagon went to “extraordinary measures” to suppress the photos and pull every file related to the incidents out of circulation.
However, the US army was later forced to apologise after some of the images were published in German news magazine Der Spiegel .
A US soldier Jeremy Morlock has already pleaded guilty to the killing of three Afghan civilians and was sentenced to 24 years in prison.
He will testify against four others whom he says were co-conspirators.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say