This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Thursday 23 May, 2019
Advertisement

Patient sets mattress on fire in Beaumont Hospital

The emergency department was off call for around four hours so the smoke could be cleared out.

Image: Mark Stedman/Photocall Ireland

THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT at Beaumont Hospital had to be closed for a number of hours this morning after a patient started a fire.

TheJournal.ie understands that a patient blocked themselves into a room attached to the emergency department with two other patients and set a mattress and curtains on fire.

Sources said a member of Dublin Fire Brigade, who had been dropping off a patient to the emergency department, broke the door down. It is understood they were then attacked by the patient who set the fire but did not sustain any injuries.

The hospital said Dublin Fire Brigade was called but that the fire was already out by the time they arrived.

The emergency department was evacuated and went off call for around four hours until the smoke was cleared out and “to minimise disruption”. No patients of staff were injured in the incident.

“The damage suffered was minor and the room in question is expected to be in use this afternoon,” the hospital said. The emergency department is back on call.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (18)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel