This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 11 °C Monday 24 February, 2020

Man arrested after explosive device found in Cork

A member of the Army Bomb Disposal Team was slightly injured while attempting to render the object safe outside a private residence in the city last night.

Members of the Defence Forces bomb disposal team (File photo)
Members of the Defence Forces bomb disposal team (File photo)
Image: Sasko Lazarov/Photocall Ireland

Updated 16.28

RESIDENTS IN THE Ballyvolane area of Cork were evacuated from their homes last night after an explosive device was discovered under a car in the area.

A man in his 30s has been arrested and is being held at Mayfield Garda Station, where he is being detained under the provisions of Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

A member of the Army Bomb Disposal team suffered minor injuries while attempting to render the object safe. He was brought to Cork University Hospital as a precaution.

His injuries are described as minor, including cuts, bruises and flash injuries. He was released from hospital this afternoon.

The Defence Forces deployed the Bomb Disposal Team in response to a request from Gardaí in the city after a suspicious object was reported underneath a vehicle outside a private residence in Ballyvolane in Cork City.

The team arrived on scene shortly before midnight and commenced operations to render the device safe.

The IED was reportedly difficult to access with the bomb disposal robot, and so the team leader commenced a manual approach. It was during this procedure that the device detonated and the team leader was injured.

A second bomb disposal officer was then deployed to the scene and the area was declared safe shortly after 2am.

The remaining members of the team returned unharmed to base at 2.20am.

The area’s residents were allowed to return to their homes in the early hours of this morning.

The car is due to be technically examined by Gardaí today.

The Defence Forces issued a statement to thank the general public for messages of support and good wishes that were received about the individual injured during the mission.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Read next: