This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Friday 22 March, 2019
Advertisement

Family dog killed after Nutella jar sparks house fire

London Fire Brigade warn: “It’s worth checking your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to potentially life changing blaze.”

Image: London Fire Brigade via Facebook

A FAMILY DOG was killed by a fire that was started by a jar of Nutella.

The fire also destroyed the roof of the house and caused serious damage to the first floor.

London Fire Brigade investigators believe the blaze started when the glass Nutella jar on the window sill refracted low sun light catching blinds alight.

The jar was being used to collect loom bands.

The family were not at their home on Fielding Avenue in Twickenham but their nine year old Jack Russell Chili – was trapped inside and died of smoke inhalation.

Family dog killed after Nutella jar sparks house fire
1 / 5
  • Nutella fire

  • Nutella fire

  • Nutella fire

  • Nutella fire

  • Nutella fire

Charlie Pugsley, from the Brigade’s fire investigation unit said:

It sounds far fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that’s exactly what happened.

“It’s worth spending five minutes checking that your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to potentially life changing blaze.”

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers from Twickenham and Feltham fire stations attended the scene on February 15.

Just four days previous lingerie tycoon Michelle Mone sent a tweet about a bean bag being set alight at her home after sunlight refracted off a mirror table:

 

Pugsley added, “These sort of fires are not as rare as you would think.”

Read: This Dublin house had a lucky escape after a phone charger went up in flames>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (31)

    Trending Tags