Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Dublin: 16°C Saturday 13 August 2022
Advertisement

German rock festival evacuated over 'terrorist threat'

Police said they had ‘concrete’ intelligence on a potential terror attack.

Image: DPA/PA Images

ONE OF GERMANY’S biggest music festivals was evacuated Friday over a “possible terrorist threat,” police said.

Organisers asked fans at the three-day event to leave calmly “in order to help police investigations” but said they were hopeful the festival would resume tomorrow.

The three-day “Rock am Ring,” held at the famous Nuerburgring sports complex near the western city of Nuerburg, is scheduled to run until Sunday. It draws tens of thousands of people annually.

In a statement, police in the city of Coblenz said they were in possession of “concrete elements, in the light of which a possible terrorist threat cannot be ruled out”.

“As safety is the key priority and any danger to festivalgoers has to be avoided as much as possible, a decision has been taken to suspend the festival for today,” the statement said. There were no further details.

Security for the festival had already been stepped up, with an additional 1,200 staff, in response to the 22 May Manchester bombing which occurred after a concert by US singer Ariana Grande.

Last year’s Rock am Ring programme was curtailed by violent storms in which dozens of people were injured by lightning.

The country remains on high alert after a jihadist attack on a Christmas market in Berlin on 19 December.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Anis Amri, a 24-year-old Tunisian, hijacked a truck, killed its Polish driver and ploughed the vehicle through the market, claiming 11 more lives and wounding dozens.

© AFP 2017

Read: ISIS ‘claims responsibility’ after gunfire reported at casino complex in Philippine capital

Read: ‘Make our planet great again’: World leaders attack Trump for pulling out of climate deal

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (44)