This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Monday 20 May, 2019
Advertisement

President, Taoiseach and Tánaiste extend sympathies to Boston

President Michael D Higgins has issued a brief statement offering thoughts to the people of Boston after today’s explosions at the city’s marathon.

Image: Julien Behal/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Updated 00.30

PRESIDENT MICHAEL D Higgins, Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore have responded to the explosions at the Boston Marathon today by extending their thoughts to those affected by today’s shocking events in the city.

So far no Irish people are reported to have been caught up in the two blasts which have left dozens injured and at least two dead.

Foreign Affairs Minister Eamon Gilmore said his department “is doing all that it can to make contact with our nationals to check on their situation”.

In a statement, he said:

My thoughts are with the people and the authorities in Boston as they continue to deal with this tragic situation. I know that there were a significant number of Irish participating or involved in the Marathon, and my Department – in particular the Irish Consulate in Boston –  is doing all that it can to make contact with our nationals to check on their situation.
So far, fortunately, all have been safely accounted for.  However, the situation is still developing and I would ask any family who may be concerned for loved ones that they have not heard from and who might have been present in the area to contact my Department at 01-408 2000.

In a short statement issued from Áras an Uachtaráin tonight, the President said: “I am deeply sorry to learn of the explosions in Boston earlier today that have resulted in fatalities and injuries.

The occurrence of the explosions during the course of the Boston Marathon is deeply shocking and is a very sad end to what should have been a day of great joy and achievement for the thousands, including many Irish citizens, who participate in and watch this widely supported annual event.

My thoughts and those of many Irish people, who feel a deep affinity with Boston are with Governor Patrick, Mayor Menino, the emergency services, and the people of this wonderful city, as they seek to respond to this tragedy.

“Having visited Boston last year, I know that its civic spirit will be a great resource in responding to today’s dreadful events.”

Kenny also sent his sympathies to the Governor, Mayor and the people of Boston.

On behalf of the Irish people, I am sending our sympathy and support to Mayor Menino and Governor Patrick and to the people of Boston who have been devastated by this senseless and terrible event. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

-Additional reporting by Sinéad O’Carroll

Updated: So far no reports of Irish caught up in marathon blasts

Obama: ‘We will find out who did this and we will hold them accountable’

Read TheJournal.ie’s full coverage of the Boston Marathon explosions >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Hugh O'Connell

Read next:

COMMENTS (28)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel