Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
DOWNTON ABBEY STAR Hugh Bonneville stunned viewers yesterday by interrupting a live TV interview at the premiere of the franchise’s latest film to issue an urgent plea about the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
Speaking to ITV News on the red carpet in London on Wednesday, the 61-year-old said he could not talk about “the fluff” of his new film until he addressed the escalating situation in Gaza.
“Before I talk about the fluff and loveliness of our wonderful film, what’s about to happen in Gaza City is indefensible,” he declared, pointing directly at the camera.
“The international community must do more to bring it to an end.”
"Before I talk about the fluff and loveliness of our wonderful film, what's about to happen in Gaza is indefensible, the international community must do more to bring it to an end" Hugh Bonneville
— Fintan McCarthy (@MccarthyFintan) September 4, 2025
Presenter "Of course it's not about the politics, it's all about the film" #Gaza pic.twitter.com/xBhssKXiPS
Without breaking stride, Bonneville then went on to praise the third and final film instalment in the hit period drama series, adding: “Downton Abbey is a lovely film and we’re going to celebrate 15 glorious years of it tonight.”
The exchange briefly caught ITV presenter Helen Keenan off guard.
Back in the studio, the anchor quickly remarked: “Of course, it’s not about the politics, it’s all about the film.”
Bonneville’s intervention came as Israeli forces intensified operations on the outskirts of Gaza City.
Hospitals reported that women and children were among more than 30 people killed in strikes on Wednesday.
Israel has intensified in recent days its bombardments of the area of Gaza City ahead of the planned invasion, despite mounting international pressure to halt the campaign.
UN officials and aid groups warned that the offensive was having “horrific humanitarian consequences” for displaced families sheltering in the city, where a man-made famine was declared last month.
Genocide scholars, several UN and EU officials and a number of aid organisations have said that Israel is committing genocide in Gaza.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin and Tánaiste Simon Harris have also both said that Israel’s actions constitute genocide.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say