#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 5°C Sunday 23 January 2022
Advertisement

Man travelled over 30 miles to get to Ardoyne riot

Court hears evidence in two 12 July riot cases.

BELFAST MAGISTRATES COURT has heard that one man travelled more than 30 miles to get to the Ardoyne riots. Paul Donegan, 26, from Dunclug Park, Ballymena, is accused of riotous behaviour on 12 July.

Donegan’s solicitor said he was in the area to collect a childcare item from a relative, but a police officer told the court the accused had travelled specifically to the area to take part in the riot.

Bail was refused and Donegan was remanded in custody. The presiding judge said she was concerned about the possibility of re-offending.

Rioting at Ardoyne began on 12 July and continued for three more days.

Separately, a 16-year-old boy was in court facing charges relating to the same riot. His charges range from riotous assembly, to destroying a Toyota after seizing it by force.

The court was told the youth could not be controlled and had been rolling a cannabis joint when police came to arrest him. Bail was refused for the boy, who cannot be named because of his age.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Both persons will appear before the Belfast court again next month.

Read next:

COMMENTS