#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 3°C Monday 29 November 2021
Advertisement

Norwegian shooter demands top army post

Anders Breivik has offered authorities information about other terrorist cells he claims are operating in the region, in exchange for an army position.

People gather around thousands of flowers and tributes laid outside the Oslo Cathedral in Oslo, in memory of the victims of July 22 bomb attack and shooting rampage.
People gather around thousands of flowers and tributes laid outside the Oslo Cathedral in Oslo, in memory of the victims of July 22 bomb attack and shooting rampage.
Image: Lefteris Pitarakis/AP/Press Association Images

NORWEGIAN ATTACKS suspect Anders Behring Breivik is thought to have told interrogators that he wants a position at the head of the country’s army, in exchange for information about the other terrorist cells he has claimed are operating in concert with him.

Mr Breivik is being held in solitary confinement after an initial in-camera court appearance in the nation’s capital last week.

He is alleged to have killed 77 people in twin bombing and shooting attacks in Oslo, and on nearby Utoya island, on 22 July.

Officials are thought to be ready to move on declaring him legally sane and fit for trial, according to The Daily Mail. That’s in spite of comments from his lawyer, indicating that he believes his client is insane.

Prosecutors cannot attempt to hold him criminally liable, or sentence him to jail, without that classification.

The court will have to take the expert opinion of two psychiatrists into consideration when making their ruling.

It comes after Mr Breivik apparently demanded to be appointed head of the Norwegian army.  He has also called for King Harald V to abdicate, according to The Belfast Telegraph.

He made the requests during a second interrogation on Friday.

Meanwhile, The Sunday Telegraph quotes an acquaintance of Mr Brevik’s as saying that, at 21, the Norwegian had work done on both his nose and chin, by an American plastic surgeon.

The former school friend goes on to say that he was, at the time, hanging around with a group of people obsessed by their bodies.

The Daily Beast quotes the head of Norway’s intelligence agency, Janne Kristiansen, as saying he believes Mr Breivik would have needed plastic surgery to achieve his ‘aryan’ look.

Elsewhere, The Village Voice blog reports that Anders Breivik’s twitter account has been hacked.

A tweet on his account attributes responsibility to “hacktivist” group Anonymous.

Whoever is now tweeting from the account says they want Mr Breivik to be forgotten, and pledge to delete the account soon.

Earlier, Norway’s parliament and royal family held a minute’s silence to honour the victims of the attack that Mr Breivik has confessed to.

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (10)