This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 0 °C Sunday 17 November, 2019
Advertisement

Police asked Prince Andrew to identify himself as he walked in palace gardens

The Duke of York, the third child of Queen Elizabeth II, was approached by two armed officers as he took an evening stroll in Buckingham Palace during the week.

Prince Andrew, The Duke of York, wearing a hat.
Prince Andrew, The Duke of York, wearing a hat.
Image: Doug Peters/Doug Peters/EMPICS Entertainment

BRITAIN’S PRINCE ANDREW was challenged by jittery royal protection officers in the gardens of Buckingham Palace last week as they stepped up security following a break-in on Monday.

The Duke of York, the third child of Queen Elizabeth II, was approached by two armed officers as he took an evening stroll on Wednesday at the monarch’s official London residence, a spokesman for Scotland Yard said.

However, the spokesman denied a report in the Sunday Express newspaper that the officers had pointed guns at the 53-year-old duke and shouted at him to get down on the ground.

“On Wednesday, 4 September at approximately 1800 hours two uniformed officers approached a man in the gardens of Buckingham Palace to verify his identity,” the spokesman said.

“The man was satisfactorily identified. No weapons were drawn and no force was used.”

Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the incident.

The incident came two days after a man was arrested inside the palace in a major security breach. He had scaled a fence to get into the building in central London.

© AFP, 2013

More: Two arrested after man ‘climbs fence’ at Buckingham Palace

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (43)