#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 14°C Saturday 28 May 2022
Advertisement

Investigation into 'menacing' phone calls made from RTE

RTE says it will cooperate fully with the garda investigation into the calls.

Image: informatique via Flickr/Creative Commons

RTE HAS SAID it will cooperate fully with a garda investigation into alleged nuisance phone calls which were made from its headquarters in Donnybrook.

The Irish Independent reports that a well-known businesswoman made a complaint to gardaí after receiving “menacing and quite creepy” phone calls late at night from an RTE employee.

The newspaper reports that the woman was intimidated by the calls, some of which were silent. She also allegedly received one voicemail from the man involved in which he said he worked on the Today With Seán O’Rourke radio programme and invited her to take part on the show.

In a statement, RTE said that an internal investigation had been carried out into the calls but did not disclose any further details, saying that details of the inquiry were confidential.

The national broadcaster said the individual concerned was not a member of staff but was employed on a casual basis.

RTE said that the phone calls came from a general phone number at its Donnybrook campus, rather than from the Today with Seán O’Rourke programme.

The investigation is continuing.

Read: RTE says folk group was not ‘dropped’ from Culture night lineup > 

Read: As of this morning, you can now read RTE news online as Gaeilge > 

Read: Love/Hate will be back on our screens in just over a fortnight > 

Read next:

COMMENTS (38)