#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 12°C Monday 20 September 2021
Advertisement

Spanish PM under pressure in party slush fund scandal

Mariano Rajoy is facing calls to explain himself or resign over his alleged support for the Luis Barcenas, former treasurer of the Popular Party.

A banner reading
A banner reading "Barcenas, pull the blanket!", is seen, as a protestor performs wearing a Mariano Rajoy mask
Image: Andres Kudacki/AP/Press Association Images

SPANISH PRIME MINISTER Mariano Rajoy faced calls to explain himself or resign over his alleged support for the ruling Popular Party’s disgraced former treasurer, who headed to court today over a slush fund scandal.

The 58-year-old premier has denied any wrongdoing and refused to comment in past weeks on the growing controversy centred on former party treasurer Luis Barcenas.

Pressure

Pressure on Rajoy mounted, however, as more allegations were revealed and as the 55-year-old Barcenas faced a High Court judge to answer questions over secret political payments.

Barcenas was called to appear in the Madrid court after conservative daily El Mundo last week published what it said was an original page from Barcenas’ slush fund ledger and delivered the document to the court.

The excerpt purportedly showed extra payments from a secret fund to party officials including Rajoy when he was a minister under then prime minister Jose Maria Aznar in 1997, 1998 and 1999.

Barcenas is suspected of running a slush fund financed by corporate donors who were then rewarded with public contracts. The cash was allegedly used to supplement senior party members’ salaries.

Text messages

In the latest blow to Rajoy, the conservative daily El Mundo published friendly mobile text messages on Sunday between the prime minister and Barcenas from May 2011 to March 2013, ending some two months after the scandal erupted.

“Luis, I understand, be strong. I will call you tomorrow. Best wishes,” said one of the messages reportedly from Rajoy to Barcenas, dated January 18 when El Mundo first published allegations over the slush fund.

“It is not good to try to determine what we will say or to comment on things that must be presented to the courts, which we must all respect,” read another message allegedly sent by Rajoy.

Barcenas reportedly told El Mundo in an interview published July 7 that the Popular Party had engaged in illegal financing for nearly 20 years. The Popular Party has repeatedly denied secret financing allegations.

The leader of Spain’s main opposition Socialist Party, Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba, on Sunday accused the premier of “serious collusion” with Barcenas and said he was severing all contact with the prime minister and his party.

But few people in Spain expect Rajoy to step down given his party’s outright parliamentary majority. Rajoy has so far resisted calls to appear before parliament over the scandal and has carefully avoided even mentioning the name Barcenas.

But he is expected to face the press today after hosting a visit by Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk.

The corruption allegations have outraged Spaniards suffering in a recession with a record unemployment rate of more than 27 percent. Dozens of protesters rallied outside the Popular Party headquarters in Madrid on Sunday.

Barcenas is already behind bars while under investigation in a separate graft case.

A Spanish judge remanded Barcenas to custody on June 27 over alleged money laundering and tax fraud. He said the move was aimed at preventing him from fleeing and to preserve evidence.

Barcenas is being investigated over tens of millions of euros he allegedly stashed in Swiss bank accounts.

Read: Firefighters vs police in Spain austerity protest>

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (5)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel