#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 11°C Saturday 24 October 2020
Advertisement

Surgeons left 16 items in German man after operation

The man died last year and his family is seeking €80,000 in damages for his suffering.

Image: Surgeons picture via Shutterstock

A LAWYER IN Germany claims surgeons left up to 16 objects in her client’s body after an operation for prostate cancer.

Annette Corinth says doctors removed a needle, compresses and surgical strips from banker Helmut Brecht after his wounds failed to heal properly following surgery in 2009.

The 77-year-old ex-banker died last year and his family is seeking €80,000 damages for his suffering, plus costs, from the Henriettenstift hospital in Hannover.

A spokesman for the Protestant Church-linked organization that runs the hospital rejected the claims.

Achim Balkhoff told The Associated Press today the objects couldn’t have been left in the patient’s body during the operation because the equipment wasn’t in use at the hospital.

He added that the compensation demands were “unusually high” for such a case.

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (19)