We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

A police officer stands outside a block of flats, in Mitcham, south London, where Natalie Sharp, the mother of Tia Sharp, lives
tia sharp

Police admit human error caused delay in hunt for Tia Sharp's body

The 12-year-old has been missing since last Friday. Yesterday, a body was discovered in her grandmother’s house.

METROPOLITAN POLICE in London have issued a statement apologising to the mother of 12-year-old Tia Sharp for the delay in finding a body in the search for her missing daughter.

Commander Neil Basu has explained the circumstances under which a number of searches of the house where Tia was last seen last Friday – the home of her grandmother Christine Sharp, who has since been arrested on suspicion of murder  along with her partner Stuart Hazell.

A 39 year old man – reported to be neighbour Paul Meehan – has been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Basu said that four scene examinations of the property in New Addington in south east London were carried out.

The initial examination was carried out when Tia was reported missing last Friday 4 August. That visit was not regarded as a full search of the property.

A second visit to conduct a full search of the property was conducted on 5 August, with the search lasting around two hours. Commander Basu said that all parts of the premises were searched including the location were a body was discovered yesterday, on 10 August.

A third visit involving the use of a body recovery dog took place on 8 August. As with the second visit, this was not a full search of the house.

Police have now admitted that following an early review of procedures, it is “clear that human error delayed the discovery of the body within the house”.

Following further investigation police decided that a further intrusive search of the property was necessary, and led to the discovery of a body.

Commander Basu said:

On behalf of the Metropolitan Police I apologise for the distress and concern this delay will have caused.

Tia Sharp investigation: Grandmother and neighbour arrested>

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.