Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Dublin: 16°C Monday 15 August 2022
Advertisement

Transgender troops can continue to serve in US military for now, says Defense Secretary

Transgender troops can continue to serve while the Pentagon studies an order by Trump to ban them from US forces.

US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis
Image: Alex Brandon via PA Images

US DEFENSE SECRETARY Jim Mattis has said that transgender troops would continue to serve in the military while he studies an order by President Donald Trump banning them from US forces.

Trump surprised Pentagon leaders in July by announcing via Twitter the ban on transgender people serving “in any capacity”, reversing a plan launched by his predecessor Barack Obama that would see the military accept openly transgender recruits.

Trump said at the time that the integration of transgender troops would result in “tremendous medical costs and disruption,” and issued a formal memorandum last Friday on the issue, saying the ban should be in effect from 23 March 2018.

[image alt="6b65290ef3b23e26ff7d0eaa74a3bb6a (1)" src="http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2017/08/6b65290ef3b23e26ff7d0eaa74a3bb6a-1-296x120.png" width="296" height="120" title="" class="alignnone" /end]

[image alt="26743bab5755147d07474d1870aa7720" src="http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2017/08/26743bab5755147d07474d1870aa7720-296x120.png" width="296" height="120" title="" class="alignnone" /end]

But the memorandum gave Mattis discretion on how to handle transgender people already serving in the military.

The administration was facing lawsuits by transgender groups and service members, and on Monday the American Civil Liberties Union also filed a suit on behalf of several transgender troops challenging Trump’s order.

In a statement yesterday, Mattis appeared cautious about implementing Trump’s order.

He said the Department of Defense would establish a panel of experts and develop an implementation plan with a focus “on what is best for the military’s combat effectiveness leading to victory on the battlefield”.

In what appeared to be a barb against the slow movement in the White House to approve all the senior staff he needs, Mattis said: “the soon arriving senior civilian leadership of the DOD will play an important role in this effort”.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

In the meantime, he said, existing policy on currently serving transgender troops would not change.

On Monday, Pentagon officials declined to say whether there had been any studies or anecdotal reports on the impact of transgender people in the military, and they also declined to reveal any estimates of the number of transgender troops.

Estimates run from the low thousands to as many as 15,000.

© – AFP 2017

Read: ‘Cruel decision’: Trump signs order barring transgender people from US military

More: Varadkar says transgender people will never be banned from serving in Irish Defence Forces

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (71)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel