This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 5 °C Wednesday 8 April, 2020
Advertisement

Police have identified the man responsible for the Istanbul nightclub massacre - minister

Mevlut Cavusoglu did not name the attacker or give any further details.

The man police believe carried out the Istanbul nightclub attack killing 39 people.
The man police believe carried out the Istanbul nightclub attack killing 39 people.
Image: Screengrab

TURKISH AUTHORITIES HAVE identified the gunman responsible for the attack on an elite nightclub that killed 39 people celebrating New Year, according to the foreign minister.

“The identity of the person responsible for the Istanbul attack has been established,” Mevlut Cavusoglu told Anadolu news agency during a televised interview.

He did not name the attacker or give any further details.

The assailant stormed the popular Reina nightclub on the Bosphorus and sprayed 120 bullets at terrified partygoers celebrating the start of 2017 on Sunday.

Of the 39 dead, 27 were foreigners including citizens from Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, Tunisia and Morocco.

The Islamic State group claimed the massacre on Monday, the first time it has produced such a claim for a mass attack in Turkey.

Since escaping from the club, the gunman has been on the run although authorities previously said they were seeking a suspected jihadist from Central Asia, reportedly from Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan.

According to Turkish media the attacker rented a flat in the central city of Konya before moving to Istanbul to carry out the attack.

There were also press reports suggesting he appeared to be well trained in the use of arms and had fought in Syria for IS.

© – AFP 2017

Read: ‘There was blood everywhere and broken glass’ – Survivors recall horror of Turkish nightclub attack

Read: Massive manhunt underway for shooter who killed 39 people in Turkish nightclub

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (80)