This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Wednesday 19 February, 2020
Advertisement

US doctor with Ebola releases statement from isolation ward and says he is getting better

“When the result was positive, I remember a deep sense of peace that was beyond all understanding,” he said.

Dr Kent Brantly in the Liberian capital Monrovia before he fell ill.
Dr Kent Brantly in the Liberian capital Monrovia before he fell ill.
Image: SamaritansPurse

A US DOCTOR who has been diagnosed with Ebola after working with patients in Liberia says he is recovering from the deadly disease.

Dr Kent Brantly, who had travelled to the country to help fight the outbreak, thanked people for praying for him as he fought the illness.

“I am writing this update from my isolation room at Emory University Hospital [in the US state of Georgia], where the doctors and nurses are providing the very best care possible,” Brantly said in the statement posted on the website of Samaritan’s Purse, the organisation with which he worked in Liberia.

I am growing stronger every day, and I thank God for His mercy as I have wrestled with this terrible disease.

Brantly said when he began feeling ill on a Wednesday morning, he immediately isolated himself until a test confirmed his diagnosis three days later.

“When the result was positive, I remember a deep sense of peace that was beyond all understanding,” he said.

He described briefly what he had seen as he had worked in Liberia with patients with the disease before he fell ill.

I held the hands of countless individuals as this terrible disease took their lives away from them. I witnessed the horror firsthand, and I can still remember every face and name.

The World Health Organisation has declared the outbreak of Ebola a “public health emergency“.

There have been 1,711 reported cases of the deadly disease so far since the first case in the current outbreak in Guinea seven months ago.  Of these, 932 people have died across four different countries in west Africa.

Read: Greece testing a man for Ebola at Athens hospital > 

Read: Ebola declared a ‘public health emergency of international concern’ > 

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (37)