This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 3 °C Tuesday 12 November, 2019
Advertisement

US teen has leg amputated after lighting 180 sparklers that were taped together

The family of Rowdy Radford said he may also lose his vision after the accident.

Image: Shutterstock/Patrick Thomas

A TEXAS TEENAGER who lit 180 sparklers that were taped together needed to have part of his leg amputated and suffered burns after the sparklers exploded.

The family of 15-year-old Rowdy Radford said he also may lose his vision due to Saturday’s accident.

Matagorda County sheriff’s Sgt James Orr said today that the teen was at a home in the Gulf Coast community of Sargent when he wrapped the sparklers together.

The teen’s aunt, Lorin Meadows, told KHOU-TV in Houston that the makeshift device exploded as soon as it was lit.

Orr says family members heard an explosion and rushed outside to find the injured boy with his left leg nearly severed.

Orr says Radford was transported by helicopter to a Houston hospital, where he remains hospitalised.

One of Radford’s friends was also hurt in the incident, but sustained less serious injuries.

According to the boy’s family, the makeshift explosive blew a four-foot hole in the ground.

Yesterday was Independence Day in the United States, an occasion traditionally marked with the use of fireworks.

Read: Man dies after trying to launch a firework off the top of his head

Also: Central Park explosive device that “severely damaged” man’s leg wasn’t meant to hurt people – police

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (34)