Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
THERE HAVE BEEN calls for greater garda numbers to be committed to the Balbriggan area, after a violent incident outside the St Peter and Paul Primary school.
It happened on Monday morning, as parents were dropping their kids off to begin the day.
A man was getting back into his van outside the school on Chapel Street, when he was approached by a group of men with baseball bats who proceeded to smash the vehicle’s windows and lights, several local sources told TheJournal.ie.
The driver attempted to get away, but got stuck in traffic. He proceeded to mount the pavement with what was described as ‘little regard’ for the safety of pedestrians.
Local councillor Frank Snowe, whose wife was at the scene, said some children had to run and take cover in the front-gardens of houses.
He said the van was driving on the pavement for “the space of around ten houses”.
The attack is believed to be the latest development in a drugs feud between two rival families.
No-one was hurt in the course of the incident.
“We need more of a garda presence in the area to deal with this kind of thing. I know they’re down on manpower, but that’s what’s needed,” Councillor Snowe said.
He said there appeared to have been an increase in criminal activity in the north Dublin suburb in recent weeks.
Another councillor, Grainne Maguire, said she had been “horrified” to learn of the attack.
“Obviously this is something that will be hugely worrying for parents in the area.”
Another local said there had been an increased garda presence around the school in the aftermath of the incident.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say