This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Thursday 5 December, 2019
Advertisement

French police issue photo of suicide bomber as Europe remains on high alert

An international football match and a concert have both been cancelled in Hannover, Germany this evening.

Updated at 20.25

FRENCH POLICE HAVE released a photo of an unidentified suicide bomber from Friday night’s Paris attacks.

The unnamed man, who detonated his suicide vest outside the Stade de France during Friday’s attacks, was fingerprinted in Greece in October but his identity remains unclear.

Police have appealed for any witnesses with information as to the man’s identity to come forward.

It was near this man’s body that a passport belonging to a Syrian regime soldier was found. That soldier was killed several months ago.

Meanwhile, France has launched a fresh round of air strikes on the Islamic State’s de facto capital of Raqqah in Syria.

At the France versus England game at London’s Wembley Stadium this evening both sets of fans joined together in singing the French national anthem Le Marseillaise in unison.

This evening, two major events have been cancelled in Hannover, Germany, due to credible terror alerts.

The Germany versus Netherlands international friendly was cancelled after police received ‘concrete evidence’ that a plot was in train to detonate an explosive device at the stadium.

In the same city, the 14,000 capacity TUI arena was also evacuated before a scheduled concert could take place.

Earlier

German police earlier said that three people had been arrested near the western city of Aachen in connection to the Paris attacks.

The dpa news agency reported that the three were arrested in the town of Alsdorf, just northeast of the city.

“We have received indications that one of the fugitives related [to the attacks in] Paris may be staying in our area,” a police spokesman told the news service.

Separately, it’s reported investigators have identified two safe houses that may have been used by Friday night’s attackers.

A room at the l’Appart city d’Alfortville – a hotel in southern Paris - was booked in the name of Salah Abdelslam from 11 to 17 November, according to The Guardian.

Jonathan Rugman of Channel 4 News, quoting local radio, reports that DNA matches of six attackers were found in one of the rooms of the hotel.

The other safe house location is in the suburb of Bobigny – near the Stade de France.

French newspaper Liberation claims that suicide bomber Brahim Abdeslam – brother of on-the-run Salah – booked the house last week.

Car found

French officials said a car found in northern Paris with Belgian licence plates could be linked to Friday’s attacks.

The black Renault Clio with a shattered front passenger window was discovered near the commuter train line that links to the Stade de France, a site targeted by three suicide bombers.

It’s unclear how the window was broken. It’s the third car identified as having possible links to the Paris attacks.

Additional reporting Cianan Brennan. With AP 

Originally published at 12.57pm

Read: Is Ireland adequately prepared to defend a terrorist attack? 91% say No

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (107)