Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Boy, 14, accused of attempted murder in Belfast

The Irish News says the arrested boy is the youngest person to face such a serious charge in nearly a decade.

POLICE IN BELFAST have arrested a 14-year-old boy in connection with the attempted murder of a 34-year-old man earlier this week.

The Irish News (paywall) reports that the 34-year-old was shot at a caravan in Lagmore, on the outskirts of West Belfast, on Monday evening.

It added that the boy was the youngest person to be arrested in connection with such a serious offence for almost ten years.

A policeman yesterday told a magistrates court that he believed the 14-year-old, who cannot be named, was the one who had fired the shot which struck the man in the ankle.

BBC News adds, however, that the defence believed the policeman’s description of the assailant did not match that of the arrested boy.

It further reported that two other men, aged 19 and 20, had been charged in connection with the attack. A 49-year-old man had already been arrested.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

The attack has been linked to an ongoing feud between two factions of the Travelling community.

The Belfast Telegraph went on to say that the 14-year-old was remanded in custody for his own protection, amid fears that the feud could escalate.

About the author:

Gavan Reilly

Read next:

COMMENTS