This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 13 °C Sunday 26 May, 2019
Advertisement

Vandals tried to cut down the iconic Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge

It will be closed for the foreseeable future.

Image: Shutterstock/Anky

THE ICONIC CARRICK-A-REDE rope bridge has been closed after an act of vandalism.

It is understood that vandals attempted to cut the bridge down.

The rope is one of the North’s busiest tourist attractions.

The National Trust, which runs the attraction, said the discovery was made during a routine safety check and is now under investigation by police.

The Trust says it is engaging structural engineers to assess the damage caused but the bridge will be closed for the foreseeable future.

Max Bryant, General Manager, North Coast commented:

“We were very disappointed to discover that the bridge had been damaged overnight and to have to close it as a result. This closure is very disappointing for visitors and the local economy, as well as for the National Trust, especially leading into what will be an extremely busy weekend.”

The Trust says that while the bridge remains closed, the overall site is open and visitors can still come and enjoy the wildlife, coastal walks and tea room.

Read: Mother’s death after collision between car and Luas ‘a warning to all motorists’ after case settled for €550,000

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (31)